July 13, 2013 12:00 p.m.
James Arthur Vineyard
Approximately 20 members and families were in attendance.
The meeting was called to order by President Warren Nelson, 1:40 p.m.
January minutes and treasurer reports approved by membership
New website available
- Provided for schools, 4h groups, or other small group sharing
- Send a letter on organization letterhead addressed to Warren, you can receive at no cost.
- The association has completed another re-run
Lancaster County Fair presence
- Sell many bee products
- Need help, please sign up
- New this year is an open class honey at superfair.org, bee culture section
- Judging will happen Tuesday August 6, 2013
- Need to provide entries the morning of August 6, released August 11.
- Charlie Simmonds is the appointed superintendent.
- Warren can pick up for you and bring back to shop with advance notice.
- August 23-September 2
- Need volunteers, opportunity to provide education to the public
- State Fair entries need to be delivered on location no later than Thursday, August 22, 8 p.m.
- If you would like to drop off at Valhalla Shop Wednesday, August 21, 5 p.m.
“More than Honey” Video showing
- Awaiting response from Ross Film if they plan to do a showing
Newsletter snail mailing
- Please make sure that your e-mail is accurate for proper digital deliver
- Contact Valhalla Bee Farm to verify accuracy
Adjourned 1:55 p.m.
Todd Jensen, Secretary
Please join us at the Seward Civic Center, Sunday, June 9 starting at 1:30 P.M. to learning about information on State Fair entries and what the judges look for, presented by Warren Nelson. Board meeting to follow.
Bee sting close-up
Don’t forget to attend the Hymenoptera allergies Seminar this weekend. Lots of great information and potentially lifesaving tips will be shared. See event details for more information.
For more information you can visit http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/768764-overview which describes this condition and what steps to take to treat.
Congratulations to the newest youth scholarship recipients in the Nebraska Beekeeper’s Association.
- Anne Coufal
- Emily Cumming
- Riston Mais
- Katherine Marcucci
- Rebekah Probanzan
- Abby Sandberg
The list of dates and requirements can be found in the Youth Scholarship Calendar. You can also download the 2013 Youth Scholarship Checklist.
There was a record turnout at our annual association meeting this year. We had nearly 100 people in attendance. Officers were elected and 2012 Youth Scholarship recipients presented their activities of the year and received awards. The 2013 Youth Scholarship recipients also were present and able to see the past years activities. Thanks to all that attended and participated.
January 13, 2013 2:00 p.m.
Valentino’s 70th and Van Dorn
Approximately 99 members and families were in attendance.
The meeting was called to order by President Warren Nelson
The nominating committee announced nominations for officer elections:
- President – Warren Nelson
- Vice President – Janet Alberts
- Secretary – Todd Jensen
- Program Editor – Todd Fiala
- Treasurer – Jane Nelson
- State Fair – Deb Swirmicky
Vote was called and all nominated individuals were approved and elected.
Nelson announced the 2012 Beekeeper of the year – Todd Fiala
Nelson also provided an Appreciation Plaque awarded to Walter Schwarz
The meeting proceeded into presentations of the 2012 Scholarship recipients. Technical difficulties were encountered but overcome. All recipients presented with exception of Austin Hurt who will present at a subsequent date. Presentations were delivered by the following:
Clifford Nicolen, Chase Jacobson, Austin Hurt, Emily Kuhl, Lane Schroer, Taylor Stephens, Hannah Cronk, Austen Haake, Jeff Thompson, Lucy Polk and Trevor Jensen.
At 5:00 p.m. awards were presented to the 2012 scholarship recipients.
Member meeting was adjourned at approximately 5:10 p.m.
Officers met briefly after member adjornment to vote on a motion presented by President Nelson to approve purchase of 2013 scholarship equipment through Valhalla Bee Farm Inc. instead of online to reduce costs. Estimate cost savings were not specified. Motion carried unanimously.
Todd Jensen, Secretary