Sunday, November 10, 1:30 pm: Shawn Koehler, District Sales Manager from Bayer CropScience, will do a presentation on the efforts that Bayer is doing to improve bee health and stewardship efforts. He will be taking questions during his presentation as well. The location is the Seward Civic Center Basement, 616 Bradford street, Seward, NE, three blocks north of the intersection of Hwy 15 and Hwy 34.
More Than Honey Trailer:
Sunday, September 15 – 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by The Friends of The Ross
This event is free and open to the public. Screenings of MORE THAN HONEY are at regular Ross prices.
The MORE THAN HONEY event will be held from 1:00-4:00 p.m. Catch a screening of the film and enjoy the exhibits, food, and drink at your leisure.
The event will feature:
– Tastings of local honey
– Honey themed food and drinks
– Educational booths about bees and honey products
– Encaustic (Beeswax) art-making & demonstration with artist Margaret Berry (from 2:00-3:00 p.m.)
– Screenings of MORE THAN HONEY throughout the day
(1:00, 3:00, 5:00, 7:00 p.m.)
The event is free, normal admission fees to see the movie still apply.
Link to full event information:
The Nebraska State Fair is less than a week away! While we have had some people step up and plan to volunteer (thank you by the way), we still have a lot of days yet to fill. *Remember, if you volunteer for a shift, you get into the fair for free! Also, all youth scholarship students are required to work a shift at the state fair booth.
First off, we need some more day managers. A day manager shift is an all day shift 9-9 and means you are in charge that day.
We need day managers for:
Tues Aug 27th (this is Kids Day at the fair and our booth is very busy)
Thurs Aug 29th
Sat Aug 31st
Next, we need volunteers for the following shifts:
Sun Aug 25 3 – 9
Mon Aug 26 9 – 3 and 3 – 9
Tues Aug 27 9 – 3 This is a Kids Day at the fair
Wed Aug 28 3 – 9
Thurs Aug 29 9 – 3 and 3 – 9
Fri Aug 30 9 – 3 and 3 – 9
Sat Aug 31 3 – 9
Sun Sept 1 3 – 9
Mon Sept 2 9 – 3 and 3 – 9
You can view the current Fair Calendar at:
To volunteer you can call the following people:
Jane Nelson (402) 261-3407
Deb Swirmicky (712) 520-9152
Thank you in advance for volunteering!
July 13, 2013 12:00 p.m.
James Arthur Vineyard
Approximately 20 members and families were in attendance.
The meeting was called to order by President Warren Nelson, 1:40 p.m.
January minutes and treasurer reports approved by membership
New website available
- Provided for schools, 4h groups, or other small group sharing
- Send a letter on organization letterhead addressed to Warren, you can receive at no cost.
- The association has completed another re-run
Lancaster County Fair presence
- Sell many bee products
- Need help, please sign up
- New this year is an open class honey at superfair.org, bee culture section
- Judging will happen Tuesday August 6, 2013
- Need to provide entries the morning of August 6, released August 11.
- Charlie Simmonds is the appointed superintendent.
- Warren can pick up for you and bring back to shop with advance notice.
- August 23-September 2
- Need volunteers, opportunity to provide education to the public
- State Fair entries need to be delivered on location no later than Thursday, August 22, 8 p.m.
- If you would like to drop off at Valhalla Shop Wednesday, August 21, 5 p.m.
“More than Honey” Video showing
- Awaiting response from Ross Film if they plan to do a showing
Newsletter snail mailing
- Please make sure that your e-mail is accurate for proper digital deliver
- Contact Valhalla Bee Farm to verify accuracy
Adjourned 1:55 p.m.
Todd Jensen, Secretary